Sunday, July 12, 2009

Art Fair on the Square

I went to our annual Art Fair today and it was absolutely wonderful. The weather was perfect and it wasn't too terribly crowded. I could have spent two days wandering around since there was so much I didn't really get to see. I focused on jewelry and ceramics, but also stopped in one of the weaving booths to talk about local weaving classes. I may end up joining the guild, but that's a hobby for the future.

I was very well behaved and only bought four things. They all jumped out and had to come home with me.

Silver textured earrings by Paula Sparks. She's a local artist and her enamel work drew me in. I love texture and this botanical print is really me.



Silver rain cloud pendant with dark blue leather background by Molly Bitters. This just jumped out and I didn't even have to think about it. I LOVE it so much and the leather makes it comfortable to wear. It's whimsical, but not really obviously so. My mom didn't even realize it was a cloud at first. Molly also has an Etsy shop.



Little Bee Vase by Karen Kraemer of Duluth Pottery. I saw a large mug with this pattern behind another potter's tent and knew it wasn't that artist's work. I was happily browsing along when I saw bees peeking out from a shelf in another tent. I rushed in to find a mug of my own. They were out of big mugs, but this pot was so perfect and happy, I had to have it. I may order a mug at some point too. The bees are big and bright and the pot is only about four inches tall.



Last, but definitely not least is this "Waterfall" necklace from Rebecca Bashara -Metalsmith. This booth was crowded with people looking at the earrings. I liked the earrings but they weren't really talking to me. Then I saw this necklace resting on the counter and I reached over someone to grab it. I tried it on and it's so comfortable and beautiful. The stones give it a nice weight and the chain is short enough that the stones drop just below collarbone level. It's so simple, earthy and rough around the edges, yet it's still feminine. Visually, I love groups of three more than any other. Of all the pieces today, I think this one is the most ME.



This has been such an inspiring day. I really enjoyed myself and I'm already looking forward to next year.

1 comment: