Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Kometenstern blanket

I finished Kometenstern, which is my first Herbert Niebling pattern. It was quite challenging to interpret the German instructions and to learn a new charting system. I had to stop in the middle because I ran out of yarn. Fortunately, I ordered two more skeins. I used both of them, even though I stopped a few rounds early. The original has a very pointy border that I didn't like for a blanket. It's still sort of pointy, but it works.

Kometenstern translates to "comet star". When I first saw the pattern, I saw a swirling pattern of ferns. The other name for it, "Schleuderblatt" means "centrifuge doily". No matter what you call it, it's a fascinating spiral embedded in mesh. The mesh seems to flow around the central motif and is surprisingly thick due to the stitches that are passed over to make it. It has a nice raised texture.



I knit this with about 1000 yards of Beaverslide McTaggart Tweeds "Wild Myrtle" on US10's. It's a delicious deep blue-purple with lighter flecks. After my usual blocking bath in Eucalan, it's very soft and fluffy. Once it dries, it will be a lightweight but very warm lap blanket.

I'm really loving this and can't wait to see how it looks unpinned. For now though, here's a preview (click the pictures, and then click them again in the preview window to see them larger):





No comments:

Post a Comment