Sunday, April 27, 2008

A new decrease for the Hemlock

After the first Hemlock Ring, I wanted to try a different double decrease for the flower petals. The original pattern calls for sl 1, k2tog, psso. This leaves a definite slant for the decrease, even though it's removing two stitches from the pattern. It also creates a looser stitch across the front of the fabric. The slanted stitches look good, but I wanted something different the next time around.



I'm working on another one and this time I'm using a double decrease. It still removes two stitches but it's balanced. To do it, slip 2 together as if to knit (like the beginning of a k2tog), k1, pass the two slipped stitches over. The two slipped stitches twist and stay together, so slipping them is easy. It leaves a nice raised ridge that is centered between the decreased stitches. The tips of the petals don't stand out quite as much because the stitches are smaller and blend in. It's a different look than the first.



I have to say, I love the Beaverslide yarn. It's like the granola of the yarn world - minimally processed and contains fiber. It still has lanolin so my hands feel soft and it has a gentle whiff of sheep about it. I come across the occasional bit of grass or leaf but they pick out easily. Some people may prefer a cleaner yarn, but I feel connected to those sheep in Montana and it reminds me that this isn't some mass-produced acrylic. It's such a joy to knit. I can't wait to get this off the needles and block it. So far the stitch definition is lovely.

(http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hemlock-ring-blanket)

No comments:

Post a Comment