Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Purple Bliss Baby Surprise Jacket in Progress

I'm cruising along on the Purple Bliss BSJ and I only have five or so knit rows to go before I have to pause. I have a contrasting color for the buttonband, but I don't want to add it until I know if the baby is a boy or a girl. The body is fairly unisex - primarily purple - but the pink yarn for the button band is very feminine. If I'm told it's a boy, I'll have to find a different yarn.

I did something different this time around. Previously, I happily did my decreases and increases until the point where the pattern says put the stitches for the front button bands on holders while you knit more length. On both of the previous BSJ's, my metal holders weighed down the knitting and stretched the stitches between the held stitches and the active stitches.

This time, I got to the point where I had to put stitches on holders, 34 stitches from the end. I simply turned my work and knitted back the other way, leaving those stitches on my cable needle, but ignoring them. I did the same thing on the other side and worked my way back. I've been adding the length and the point where the stitches diverged is crisp and tidy. I'm really loving this! I got the idea after reading about short-row heels in socks and thought it might work here. My mom is knitting a BSJ at the same time and we're near the same point. I only have three stitch holders, so something was going to have to be done. Now neither of us need them!

Look at how pretty this fabric is!





Now, doesn't this look good with it, albeit very girlie?

No comments:

Post a Comment