Friday, February 20, 2009

February Phat Fiber is here!

Alas, my samples didn't make it in time for the box, but I was still able to get in on the February box sale. The boxes were mailed on Tuesday and mine arrived yesterday (Thursday). I didn't expect it until today or tomorrow. It was so great to come home and see that white box sitting on my doorstep. I've been rummaging through it and it's all so lovely. The samples are generous and I love all of the pink. I'm a new spinner and still learning about fiber. It's so educational to have all of these fibers in the form of yarn and unspun fibers in one place. The big BFL roving feels like a cloud compared to the slightly coarser corriedale and this will be my first experience with alpaca. The yarns let me feel how different plying methods (or singles) feel and I'll get to experiment with how they knit up. The Targhee wool yarn is new to me too.



The fiber, clockwise from left includes:

100% BFL roving in color "Scarletta" from Infinity
1 oz 50% merino/50% tencel roving in color "Black Nightie" from Natural Obsessions
0.2 oz Corriedale Roving in color "Raspberry Truffle" from Aurora Fiber Arts
Merino roving in color "Stranger" from hedgehog fibres
A Mini Bon Bon of merino roving with a dollop of mohair in color "Cherry Chakka Latte" from Natchwoolie
Black wool roving with deep red nylon firestar and Tibetan rayon sari thrums in color "Embers" from Wild Hare
Alpaca, merino and mohair batt in color "Wine and Chocolate" from Silver Sun Alpacas




The yarn clockwise from upper left includes:

40 yds 100% merino sock yarn in color "This is Not About Love (Fiona Apple)" and a Dove chocolate heart from Dyed by Danido
Handspun BFL singles in color "Kissy Face" from Vines (which is exactly what I want to learn how to spin)
100% handspun wool in color "Key Lime" from Cool Climates
30 yds Merino sock yarn in color "Flutterby" from Wild Child Yarn , which is a part of Serenity Tree, a conglomerate of work-at-home-moms.
Superwash Merino sock yarn in color "Blush" from Sweet Pea Fibers
Worsted Merino in color "Purple Batik" and Superwash Merino sock yarn in color "Peony" from Liberty Fibers
20 yds worsted Targhee wool in color "Snork" from Northern Lights Fiber Co.




Extras include:

Pattern - "Under the Rose" fingerless mitts by Wendy Ganong
Pattern - "February Flower" knit flower by Katherine Vaughn Designs
Pattern - "Flashdance Leg Warmers" by Diane Kostecki
Small KIP bag from Ruddawg
Valentine heart stitch marker from Designs by Tami (a genius with polymer clay)
Green and black beaded shawl pin from Yarn Candy by Melissa
Fudge from J.D. Melaine

I can't say enough good things about Phat Fiber. It's a unique collective and I really think the benefits to the contributors far outweigh the cost of sending in samples. Because of the blog and the samples I got, I've favorited so many artisans on Etsy that I really need to win the lottery.

No comments:

Post a Comment