Wednesday, February 25, 2009

It's yarn!

I hauled out my wheel, oiled it up and had another go tonight. I don't know where my sudden mojo came from, but I spun two bobbins of fingering to worsted singles from this delicious braid of BFL.



I really liked the colors but I didn't want to muddy them up by plying. It inspired me enough to attempt singles. I had pulled the roving lengthwise into pencil-diameter strips that only needed light tugging to loosen the fibers. If I try to draft from thicker strands, it's anyone's guess what will happen. It worked great and I was able to concentrate on letting the twist into the fiber evenly. I smoothed the yarn as I went and the BFL was lovely to work with.





Right now the singles are cooling their jets on my ball winder. I emptied my bobbins and I want to let the twist relax before I finish the yarn. It's on the winder so the center won't collapse. I'm treating it like another bobbin, just one that's easier to deal with, especially when I wind the hanks.

I gave the Targhee fiber a whirl but the short staple length was beyond my abilities. I'm going to sit on the merino and other short staple fibers until I get a little more experience and I may try them on a drop spindle instead of the wheel. My spindle isn't here yet, so I have a little time to wait and get some knitting finished. My "Music and Lyrics" shrug has been hibernating for a while, so I pulled it out tonight and rekindled the romance. I forgot how much I love Malabrigo lace.

No comments:

Post a Comment